Monday 16 September 2013

The Wordsworth Book of Horror Stories

I know that I have done a lot of author recommendations and I have done a lot of book reviews and thus recommendations but I don't think I've ever just said 'go out and buy this book' without first reviewing it. Well, now I will. The Wordsworth Book of Horror Stories (I don't think I'm typing all that again) is an absolute gem of a book, fantastic for any true horror story fan. It doesn't feature any modern stories but it features over 1000 pages of classic story telling.

Within this wonder anthology you will find writers such as Edgar Allan Poe, Charles Dickens, Oscar Wilde and it even features Dracula's Guest by Bram Stoker!! I was also very excited to find Vendetta by Guy De Maupassant in there. Overall it contains 103 tales by 39 different authors. A must buy and for anywhere between $5-$15 there is no reason not to purchase this.
 

So I have been buying far to many books again, I tried to stop buying so many which lasted for a little while but I'm back again. I currently work in a large shopping centre which has book sale stands every so often. And they're placed along the route I take to work. This is bad.

Tea for You, Tracy Stern. This is a book on the art of blending and creating teas. Being a heavy tea drinker when I found this I couldn't pass it up, mainly for the fear that I would never find it again if I did. This is a delightful little book with a wonderful design. It even has a section of biscuit and treat recipes to make with your tea and a list of flavour profiles for matching ingredients for blends. Very handy.

The Day of The Triffids by John Wyndham. This was a book recommended to me by a friend but also one I would have found on my own as it was mentioned during a favourite series of mine. I am currently reading it and it is absolutely fascinating. Incredibly mysterious and is always giving me two questions for every answer I receive. I'm really enjoying it.

One of the other down-falls (or bonuses) of working in a large shopping centre is knowing others that work there and getting discounts. Like book discounts. One of the girls I know was working at the book sale stand when I came up planning to purchase just one book. She then sends me back saying 'pick whatever you want and I'll get you a good deal'. Well how could I resist? 

Of Beasts and Beings by Ian Holding. Set in Africa it tells two people's stories, that of a man forced into slavery and a school teacher struggling to survive in Zimbabwe. I must admit that it was the title that drew me to the book and partially convinced me to read it but it sounds really good.

The Mayan Resurrection by Steve Alten. My curse strikes again! I found out after I brought it that this is actually a sequel to The Mayan Prophecy. That being said I had actually wanted to read The Mayan Prophecy so I am glad that I brought this because it will remind me to buy the first. Once again I mainly brought this because of the title. It's something about Mayan or Aztec based books that just fascinates me. 

Well that's all for this week. Leave some feedback in the comments please, I would really appreciate it. Until next week,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment