Sunday 5 May 2013

Cornelia's mistake

Imagine with me for a minute will you. You're reading the final book in a series. Written by a writer you adore and written so brilliantly you're devastated that this is the last book. And finally you reach the climax of the book, where everything comes together. Where the most important plot point in the series, a plot point that has taken up the last 700 pages is finally resolved. You're reading the final showdown, the writings magnificent and the speed is thrilling and then...


The writer forgets their own story and writes the wrong thing.

Yeah, this happen to me recently. Let me tell you what happened. (Spoiler alert)

As most of you will know weeks ago I had began reading the Inkheart series and about three quarters through the second book, the hero of the story bound a book of immortality for the villain in exchange for the release of himself and other prisoners. However the catch was that three words could be written into the book to break his immortality. They were Heart, Spell and Death. Now these three words formed the plot line and governed the actions of the characters for about the next 700 pages or so, so you'd think that the author of this particular story would have remembered them. Not so. When the time came for the hero to write the words to kill the villain he instead wrote Heart, Blood and Death. Now I'm not being a stickler for details (I hope) but this was an important point and it does disappoint me that no one, not the author, not the publisher, realised what had happened. Being the Cornelia Funke fan that I am I can forgive her however I sincerely hope that this never happens again.

Oh who am I kidding, it happens all the time. However it does annoy me. If I can remember these details why not the person writing them. Shouldn't they be more involved then I am, especially when they create a whole new world. Or they could take notes. Now I do have an exceptional memory when it comes to stories (something that helped me tremendously in Literature classes) and I tend to remember the small things, even in life. Thus I don't expect everyone to be as observant as me but authors should be, always.

Moving on, I do recall (haha) promising the read 'The Princess Bride' and 'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower' over the past month and giving an opinion of them both however alas, this has not happened. Unfortunately making promises to read books is also conditional on having the money to buy said books. However I did read one for the dragon fans out there.

Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman
Now I can't really say too much about the plot of this book simply because it is one of these books that starts off in complete and utter mystery. I will however give you the blurb:
Dark betrayal and a sinister plot: a kingdom at war
The brutal murder of the prince of Goredd has shattered the fragile peace between humans and dragons.
Seraphina, a talented musician, is drawn into the murder investigation- and soon her own life is in terrible danger as she fights to hide the secret behind her amazing gift.
Can one girl unite two warring world?
Sounds exciting doesn't it. Now I can reveal that dragons and humans formed a peace treaty after a long a terrible war however most humans still distrust dragons. The fact that dragons can shape shift into humans only worsens the distrust. This book drew me in from the beginning and still hasn't let me go. The plot can be slow in some places however it built wonderfully and I am excited about book two, anticipated next year unfortunately. It got a wonderful review from Christopher Paolini ( something that encouraged me to read it) and I personally would recommend it to any dragon, adventure, or other world lover. It is truly magnificent.

The book I am currently reading is 'The Book Of General Ignorance' by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson. I love unexpected facts, I am the person who can tell you that dolphins rape 16 people every year, that we spell biscuit wrong (it means cake in the original French, to be biscuit it needs a k not a c) and that butchers were the original inventors of the high heel. So for me this book is fantastic and although I do disagree with some of the ways their facts are measured I would highly recommend it to any fact enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment