Monday 18 November 2013

Best and worst movie adaptations

This week I thought I'd change things up a bit by talking about my best and worst movie adaptations. Interestingly enough these actually come to be the same movie for me. I'm talking about 'Practical Magic' written by Alice Hoffman.

I started off watching the movie, oblivious that there was even a book. Being one of my favourite movies I decided to read the book once I found it. The book itself was one of the most horrible pieces of literature I have ever read. I do know that a lot of people really enjoyed it and that it did get a lot of high reviews but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I found the writing to be very simple and the plot to be jumpy. Years would pass without any warning and leave a lot of the story untold. Important characters were pulled in without any prior warning, even when they should have been mentioned before and the overall book was very dark.

In regards to the movie I think it is one of the few adaptations I have seen that changed the story to make it better. I think that the movie added in more detail to make the plot a bit more understandable and introduced important characters when it was meant to. I don't often see a movie that is better than the book but this was definitely one of them.

On the other hand the movie did not stick to the original plot line at all. It completely changed a lot of the story and a lot of the characters personalities. Even destinations were changed so that when characters were meant to move they stayed intead. This all makes it the worst adaptation I have ever seen as it did not follow the book at all.

It is rare that a movie can change a book's plot completely and end up making it better but this is one instance in which it happened. I highly recommend 'Practical Magic' to anyone who has not seen it as it is a wonderfully terrific movie. Until next time,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment