Saturday 16 March 2013

I am a Starkid fangirl!

Hello everyone, I'm posting another blog a bit earlier than normal for a very simple reason. A Very Potter Senior Year was released on YouTube yesterday and I've just finished watching it. Now I will take an opportunity to put in a spoiler alert, I will talk about the musical itself and not just how I'm excited that its finally out. So if your planning on watching it but haven't yet, or haven't finished it than go and do that now and then come back.



Now for those of you that are left, oh my goodness I loved it. Now I do of course understand that it was just a stage reading, not a full production however it was (like all Starkid performances) truly magnificent. All actors carried scripts but you still could tell who was more rehearsed than others. But considering how little time everybody had to accomplish this it pays homage to their acting abilities for just how well it went. Now I must put in a very special mention to A.J Holmes who made an amazing Professor Lockhart. I must say that in every role I've ever seen him in (all of two now!) he has done an amazing job. And also to Meredith Stepien who did a brilliant job in the role of Hermione despite not being the original. Now I, like many other Starkids I'm sure, noticed a lot of influence from other Starkid musicals, especially from MAMD. And I loved this! I think that it adds a lovely continuity to their musicals and gives way to lots of inside jokes. Although I think they've stolen a lot of potential fan fiction ideas. Originally it was just Voldemort and Quirrel but now even a naughty Hermione? However that scene was absolutely hilarious and yet I still can't figure out why Lockhart needed so much money just to shrink himself to the size of a f***ing mouse. He's a wizard for goodness sake!
I really enjoyed the focus on The Chamber of Secrets for this musical, as it was a previous untouched adventure within the Starkid musicals. And I did notice that they tried to fit in most of the untouched concepts. Hagrid was amazing and Brian Holden did such a brilliant job and of course Jeff Blim as Aragog was genius, despite his absolutely disturbing song that will probably stay with me for the rest of me life. "Get in my mouth!"
Joe walker once again made an amazing and sexy Voldemort. I never though I'd get that excited when Voldemort ripped his shirt off and would never have even expected it of him however I did and I did and it was awesome! Starkid also brought a lovely depth to the Voldemort character by exploring exactly how his past had shaped him. Of course it was explored in the books but its still nice to see it in the parody musicals.
I almost died laughing when Lockhart held up a Harry Potter book and when Voldemort and Quirrel showed up at platform nine and three-quarters with their daughter. And yet I'm still upset, I almost cried when Scarfy was killed and would of had it not been for the accompanying humour. I do think that the simplicity of Scarfy made him one of my favourite Potter characters, and he wasn't even in the books!!
This musical, like all Starkid musicals, was hilarious and witty and yet still managed to hold up to the true values of the books. This musical focused on the idea of letting go as well as the ability to love and I do think this was important. For us Starkids the saga wasn't over until this last musical. Some people only had the books and movies, other just had one. But we were lucky. We had an amazing cast of amazing actors and brilliant writers who made the story come alive once again. But now it's over. Nothing lasts forever. The story will live on for a while, but it won't continue. Not anymore. So thank you to the amazing people who let this continue for just that bit longer, it's been one hell of a ride. And yeah, I'm glad I went back.

No comments:

Post a Comment