Saturday 16 March 2013

John Green and Markus Zusak


So finally for the literature section of my blog, yay! There is not particular pattern to my blogs however I will try to get a bit of everything in here at some point. Suggestions for topics would be fantastic as well. I've discovered two absolutely fabulous writers already this year, the first being John Green. Now I've just started my second John Green book called 'Looking for Alaska'. The first I read was 'The fault in our stars'. Both are brilliant and both are love story's. Tragic love stories but amazing ones. Honesty I'm a big sucker for romance but finding intelligent, well written, MODERN love stories was almost impossible. Maybe I'm not as well read as I think I am but the most recent intelligent love stories I had found before John green were the works of Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë. I must admit that going into the works of John Green I was a little hesitant. Shortly before purchasing 'The fault in our stars' I had learned that two of the most intelligent women I had ever know both read his novels. Safe to say I had very high expectations. And he surpassed them all. Finally the highest recommendation I can put in for John Green is that in addition to all of this he is the only writer I've ever read who had the guts to disagree with Shakespeare. And most likely got it right.
Now for my second writer recommendation for 2013, Markus Zusak. While on holiday in Lakes Entrance I found his novel, 'The Book Thief'. Now I had heard a lot about this book and had been anxious to read it for quite a while so naturally I brought it. I loved it. This book was intelligent, thoughtful and utterly moving. I can honestly say that I spent the last twenty minutes of reading this book crying my eyes out it was so tragic (probably why it took me twenty minutes to read the end, I couldn't see the pages). Now I had been told that this book was about a girl in Nazi Germany who steals books from book burnings and other such places. This is not true! It is, admittedly what happens in the book however it is not what the book is about. This book contains so much more than just a girl who steals. Now fair warning, the book is a bit strange and will take some getting used to. It is narrated by death (no spoiler alert, this is revealed at the beginning) which gives it a very interesting narration style. There are many interesting insights that come with this particular narrator and many are quite humorous.
So now hopefully I have fed your minds a little bit and provided just enough information to get you interested and excited without revealing very much about the books at all. Happy reading and I will write you on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Catherine
    I received both books today.
    I hope to start reading in about 2 weeks, as I have a few exams ahead.

    Michael P.

    ReplyDelete