Sunday 21 July 2013

My favourite Melbourne bookstores

Hey everyone, over here in Melbourne it is very, very cold but I did find the motivation to go all the way into the city for this post (the life of a blogger is so hard). I had wanted to do a post like this for a couple of weeks now because I love reading them. It will of course mainly be for Melbournians but it will make a good read for any bookworms coming to Melbourne or someone who just likes lists.

Now I did visit a new store hoping to put it on this list but unfortunately Kay Craddock's fine and rare books did not make the cut. It is a very beautiful store found on Collins Street with a huge selection of beautiful books but the service was not great. I went in to get one of my books looked at, not to be valued but so I could get a bit more of a history on it. I had found it in an opportunity shop but couldn't even find a published date on it. When the staff found out I wasn't in there to buy anything they were a bit dismissive, I was willing to pay for the research but didn't have to, mainly because there was none done. Kay herself had a quick glance, gave me a published date around the 1940's and pretty much sent me off, the other information she gave me could be found in the book itself. Beautiful store but unless you're going to buy something don't bother. A shame, I really wanted to give this store a good review.

Now on with the good ones. My first is the Hill of Content bookstore, I go there because my grandmother gives me gift cards that can be redeemed there and it's the closest place I can use them. It can be found on the corner of Exhibition and Bourke street. It's a large store with a very big selection. With most of their books they will only have one or two copies (like most stores I suppose) so they can be tricky to find if you're not to familiar with their layout. That being said the staff are wonderful and always very helpful, not always busy like in some stores. The books are typically priced, you won't find any big discounts but its a lovely store in its own right.

My second store to mention is Dymocks. Now Dymocks does have two stores in Melbourne but the one I go to is located on Collins Street, on the ground floor of Boutique Place. It's a huge store and I love Dymocks anyway. I've always found them to have great customer service, they order in books not matter where the come from, reserve books and the have a wonderful rewards program. Now some other book stores offer good service too but I like Dymocks. They can tend to be cheaper then other book stores and if you are a member you can be privy to some fantastic discounts and rewards.

Now the Victoria State Library is not a bookstore but they do have one inside. The library is huge and absolutely gorgeous. It's not just a library but also a gallery and they hold exhibitions all the time. Found on Swanson Street across from Melbourne Central Station. And also located right next to my favourite chocolate cafe, San Churro. You can't borrow books from here, for relatively obvious reasons but its well worth a visit and with the store you can still leave with some goodies.

Now for my absolute favourite Melbourne bookstore, The Book Grocer. I adore this bookstore and now I have even more reason to. This is a bookstore that is always changing, they have a consistent penguin classics sections but aside from they you will hardly ever find the same book in there twice. They always have new books in and are always changing the set up around. Last time I went there they had an awesome philosophy section which has been replaced with a history section. You have to go in with money because if you find a book you love, you can almost guarantee that you won't find it again. Most of their books are also quite obscure, not always things that you can find in typical bookstores. For instance I remember going in, completely broke, for a look and finding an awesome hardcover book on etiquette for $15. Never saw it again. On that note, the prices had always been fantastic but when I went in on Thursday I noticed that now, no book is over $10. Yep, that's right, all books $10 and under. Already my favourite book store, now even more so. You can find it near the corner of Bourke and Russell street.

Now being a bookworm with high expectations for my self control I went into the city to investigate and update my notes on my bookstores with the idea that I wouldn't buy anything. Yeah right! All was going well until I got to The Book Grocer and saw the 'all $10 and under' sign. And then I brought three. Which isn't bad but I only escaped with three because I almost ran to the counter so I couldn't see any more books. I ended up buying a book called Heartstone, set in the time of Henry VIII, a book on history's warrior queens and a Jane Austen biography.

Now before I wrap up (almost finished, I swear) I would like to give a special mention to Secondhand Books. This used to be a wonderful second hand book store outside Flinders Street Station. Unfortunately it closed down about 6 months ago but it deserves a mention. All of the books were in good condition and you could even buy some brand new books for secondhand prices. It was one of those little cramped stores with a rickety old bookcase ladder and everything smelt like old books, I adored it.

Well that's everything. I hope you enjoyed reading some of a bookworms favourite resources. Leave your own favourite stores listed down below. Until next week,
Catherine. 
  


     

No comments:

Post a Comment