Monday 29 July 2013

My top 5 Stephen King novels

Oops, missed another Sunday. I spent most of yesterday at work and had to open this morning so when I got home last night all I could think about was bed. But hopefully this makes up for it.
I am a huge Stephen King fan, I love horror novels and think that he's just an amazing writer in general. And fortunately for me Stephen King has written so many books that I can make a list of them. Be warned though, these books made it into my top 5 by being gruesome and gory, for the most part.

The first on my list is The Shining. This was one of the first Stephen King books that I read and it has remained a firm favourite through the years. The novel isn't too gory but it has its moments, mainly it's just a good supernatural read. It focuses on a very young boy who frequently experiences visions and his abusive father. The family spends the winter taking care of an isolated and very haunted hotel where the father is slowly taken over by the spirits who reside there.

The next book is Misery which must truly be every writers worst nightmare. Novelist Paul Sheldon finds himself in a car accident and is found and taken in by a nurse. A very psychopathic nurse who happens to be his number one fan and is very disappointed that he killed her favourite character. This I found to be a truly gruesome book for beginning to end but a fantastic read. Definitely one for the hardcore Stephen King fans out there.

Third on my list is Desperation. This is a deeply creepy and bloody tale about several people who find themselves stranded in the desert with a cop turned psychopath. Unfortunately for them there is so much more going on then a crazed cop.  Recommended for those with strong stomachs. 

Ok, next in line is The Green Mile. This is not a particularly gory novel but it is creepy none the less. It is narrated by an old death row warden and tells the story of three death row prisoners and their wardens. I think that it questions our ideals of innocence and guilt particularly well and shows that not all evil can be seen right away. This was originally  released as a serial novel and even though I have it bound as one novel I can see how brilliantly he built suspense. I wish I had been able to collect each instalment as they came out but I was only one when they started.

Last on my list is Gerald's Game. This one is not recommended for everyone because it is not only gruesome but very deeply disturbing. A woman and her husband drive out to their summer home to spend the weekend together, her husband fond of power games while she's very much over them. When he doesn't listen she kicks him away, he hits his head and dies. Leaving her chained to the bed. At first I was dubious, I didn't quite know how 300 pages of a woman stranded on a bed in the middle of nowhere would be but yet again, Stephen King was brilliant. Once again, disturbing and a very creepy ending. Not for the faint of heart but if you read Stephen King I'm guessing that you're not.

Well that's my list. I kept it quite short because I have only read a limited number of his books. That being said to put them in a list was very hard. I had to become quite choosy and forced myself to give reasons to the books being here other then 'but i loved it'. So now it's your turn, are you a Stephen King fan and if so what's your favourite novel? Until next time,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment