Monday 5 August 2013

My wish list

Hello everyone, this week I thought that instead of making a list of books that I have, I would write up a list of books that I don't have, a bookworms wish list. I am an avid book collector and have quite an extensive personal library but I'm always finding new books. It seems like I just don't have enough time to collect and read them all. So here is a list of books that have been on my list for a while.

Now I am just abut heartily sick and tired of the sparkling vampire genre however I do still enjoy a good, dark vampire tale. Recently I read 'food for the dead' which was an anthropologists study of real vampire cases in Rhode Island. This was filled with vampire fiction and non-fiction recommendations which have made it onto my list.
The vampire in Europe by Montague Summers. Another study of vampire folklore, especially from ancient civilisations in Europe.
The apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia Defelice. A fictional tale of a man whose family is taken by consumption. He finds an apprenticeship with a doctor and discovers supernatural folk remedies that could have saved his family.
The haunting of Carrick Hollow by Paul Sledzik and Jan Burke. A short story based on true tales that investigate the vampiric practices of New England.
The plague and I by Betty Macdonald. Not exactly about vampires. The author writes about her nine months in a sanatorium to cure her tuberculosis.
Funk and Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology, and Legend. A big book of mythology and legend. I want it.
Vampires by Norine Dresser. An exploration of vampiric roles and symbolism in America.
Danse macabre by Stephen King. A series of essays on horror fiction and typical horror archetypes. I've wanted to read this for a while.

As you can see, lots of vampire related stuff. Recently I've also gotten very much into biographies. I recently picked up one on Jane Austen but there are a couple more that I would like to have. 
 Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light by Patrick Mcgilligan. I am a huge fan of Alfred Hitchcock and have several of his anthologies. Since the movie Hitchcock came out I've been wanting to find out more about him so I'm looking forward to buying this. 
Dracula: A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476 by Radu Florescu, Raymond T. McNally. I have been fascinated by Vlad the Impaler for a very long time and read everything I can about this iconic figure. A biography would be fantastic to have.

And now for some extras.
Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens. By Charles Dickens, need I say more?
And the mountains echoed by Khaled Hosseini. This books has fantastic reviews. A father tells his children a folk tale and the next day they leave for Kabul. The story follows tales of their descendants, spanning decades.
Burial rites by Hannah Kent. A young Icelandic woman is accused of murder in the year 1829. I am obsessed with historical fiction and mysteries. This is a must for me.
The war of the worlds by H. G. Welles. I loved the movie and have really wanted to read this for quite some time.
 The red queen by Maragret Drabble. Narrated by a queens ghost it tells the tale of her unhappy marriage and end. Based on true events.
The master and the margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. A satire about soviet life under the rule of Stalin.
V for Vendetta by Alan Moore. Although technically not a book I will include it. I've recently grown to love graphic novels and this is one I became obsessed with. I started reading online but now I want my own copy! 

As you can see I have a serious problem. And this isn't even a complete list! This was just the ones featured in my notebook, I have other lists in other spots. So what are some of the books that made it onto your extreme reading list? Until next time,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment