Sunday 30 June 2013

A book haul??

Another week, another post. This week I thought I'd do a bit of a book haul (can you do those?). Over the past two weeks I have brought quite a few books, some for me and some for others and I thought I'd share them with you. Now of course everyone is currently having a mid-year sale and Dymocks is currently having a three for two deal on most of their orange penguin books. I do love the penguin books because they have an amazing range and lots of older, more obscure books for amazing prices. So how could I go past their sale?

When I went in I had my eyes set on The Great Gatsby, Breakfast at Tiffany's and 1984. Unfortunately they didn't have 1984 in stock and they had moved all of their Great Gatsby novels to the front counter due to the movie release so they weren't in the penguin section either. I found Breakfast at Tiffany's and chose two new novels, got back to the counter and saw The Great Gatsby. Not being able to chose which one to put back I just got the four. I wanted to get The Great Gatsby due to the movie which I do want to see (stars Leonardo DiCaprio and directed by Baz Luhrmann, yes please!) but I wanted to read the book first. I am currently reading it and it is really good, it has a nice pace to it and is well written but not as glamorous as you would expect. Breakfast at Tiffany's was next on my list as I had heard a lot about it and I have read Truman Capotes work before so I was very happy to get this.

The two unexpected books (well one book, one poem) that I picked up were The Picture of Dorian Gray and Beowulf. A friend of mine read The Picture of Dorian Gray as part of her year 11 literature classes and she highly recommended it to me. In addition the summary she gave me really intrigued me so I am quite happy with that. Beowulf has been something that I've wanted to investigate for some time now. I'm constantly seeing it mentioned in other works and I've been seeing the movie on tv for years but never really knew what the legend was about so when I saw that it was an immediate decision to get it.

I've also picked up two novels for a birthday coming up which to be honest I am quite eager to read myself. I did end up finding a copy of 1984 in another book store, one of my favourites called QBD, and I also got the latest Dan Brown novel, Inferno. Dan Brown seems to be an author that people either love or hate. I personally love his works, I find them well written and exceptionally well researched. In fact I've just finished reading his novel The Lost Symbol (which I adored). 

Well that's all of my books for the past couple of weeks, I'll let you know how they all go. And let me know, what books have you brought recently? That's all for this week. Until next time,
Catherine  

No comments:

Post a Comment